Monday, September 22, 2008

Over halfway there, 4 nights to go

The last few nights have been fairly uneventful. I show up at approx. 6:30, I don't want to be late and my check in time is 7 pm. When you check in and out for work release, you have to give the guard your tent, bed number and last name. I'm not sure what will happen if you are late, but I'm pretty sure you could jepordize your work release and you definately don't want to do that.

Other items to note, there is a very small admin window when you first enter. This is where you can go to ask any questions or to get a toothbrush, etc. Very important - you do not knock on this window, you just stand there until someone notices you and you can then ask your question.

I heard a few stories over the weekend that were a little strange. There was one inmate that was going around asking everyone for money. Luckily, since I just laid in my bunk and read, she didn't approach me. There was a couple others that will making a killing selling cigarettes, one for 2 dollars a piece, when she ran out another girl started selling them for $5 a piece. I don't understand why they take a chance on smoking a cigarette, if you get caught you can lose your work release priveleges or be "rolled out" to full custody which is much harder.

There are actually 2 tent cities. I'm in the easiest one. The other one requires that everyone wear striped and work at the jail. They do strip searchs in this one and if you screw up in the one I'm in, you can be stuck into that one. I'm met a few women who have come from over there and they really like it here.

On one side of the woman's area that I'm in there are large 2 story buildings that have windows looking over at our area. I'm told this is where the men sex abusers are keep. It seems to be true since at night you can see these guys silhouetted in the windows and they beat on the bars to get our attention and then make weird sexual images. It's actually kind of funny in a very stupid way.

I met this one very pretty woman in for 6 months for 'neglegent homicide' she lost control of her car and accidently killed someone. Very sad situation. Anyway, I'm signing off for the day. More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling Jamie - this has been an adventure for you. You are daily in my thoughts - hang in there Tent City Mama! You're doing great! Andrea

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, this has been so interesting. I can see you networking...ha ha! I hope it was not too hot for you during the day; look forward to hearing about that also. Talk to you soon. Debby