Friday, September 26, 2008

Freedom & Tent City Stories

You really don't know how to appreciate freedom until you have lost it for a while. 9 days and nights may not sound like much, but believe me, it feels like a long time. The benefit of having gone through this is that I think I will appreciate life more now. The last 60 hours when I didn't get work release were the toughest. DUI is the only crime in which they say you can only have 5 days work release and then 2 days (3 nights) in. Every other crime you can have 6 days work release and 1 day in. The system really screws DUI offenders.

I met lots of interesting people at camp. One lady braided my hair (corn rows), it passed a few hours and was lots cooler. She is a hair dresser and did a great job. I saw 2 people who had friends that knew I was in there and told them to find me. One of the women was in for a year for drugs and the other was DUI like me. The ladies were all very respectful of each other and our property right up until 48 hours before I was released and they put a little 18 year old black girl in with us who was in for theft. Immediately people started having things stolen from there bunks. The other black ladies knew she was the one doing it and were really pissed. She's was in for 5 days, and they were about ready to 'take her out'. They felt she was an insult to the black women and they were right. We were a real cutural mix. Every race was represented.

There was a very pretty woman in for negelgent homicide. She lost control of her car and hit someone. She was in for 6 months. Lots of people in for drugs, some you could really see it on faces - bad teeth, skin, etc. There was one lady who had just had a baby and named it Crystal Beth (get it, Meth) poor kid.

That is it for this Blog. I'm ready to move onto the next phase of life. XXXOOO

No comments: